[Tutor] Python urllib (linux)

Python python at venix.com
Fri Jun 30 19:44:53 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 13:58 +0000, Patty wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm doing some failure testing for a python script that uses urllib and  urllib2
> to open a web page and post data. If the server's apache is down or if I change
> the ip address the script is trying to contact to be a bogus address, the script
> handles it prefectly. When I unplug the ethernet cable from my machine (client),
> the script hangs. Is there a way I can implement a timeout to handle this
> problem?
    import socket
    if not socket.getdefaulttimeout():
        socket.setdefaulttimeout(25.0)

This sets a timout of 25 seconds.  You need to set the timeout BEFORE
using a socket.  The documentation is in the socket module, should you
need more detail.  This technique works for simple cases.

> I'd appreciate any suggestions because I'm clueless.
> Thanks,
> Patty

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp