[Tutor] Unexpected Behavior in unittest

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Wed Mar 1 21:13:30 CET 2006

I went back and double checked all of my test files, and you were right
I was actually running an older version of test3.py.  In that, the
assignment to the character separator was wrong:

     lg.sc = 2.5

Having forgotten that Python allows dynamic creation of object
attributes at run time, I assumed (incorrectly) that the interpreter
would catch a misspelled attribute name.  lg.sc was being assigned just
fine, leaving lg.cs blissfully unchanged.  The test case caught the
error as it should, leaving me scratching my head and bothering you.  A
case of C++ memory intruding into Python space.

Thank you for pointing out the real problem.

barry.carroll at psc.com
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.

-Quarry worker's creed