[Tutor] Tutorial for creating web server

w chun wescpy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 22:43:03 CET 2006

>  i wanted to create my own web server, can any body suggest any tutorial,
>  by the way i have gone through book Core Python Programing, in this book
>  one example is given but it is to abstract, that i am unable to understand

rakesh,

1) based on this thread and responses from various folks, it sounds
like you are only interested in publishing your home page (currently
in PHP).  if you have just static web pages (no CGI, etc.), then you
do not need anything nearly as powerful as the Zope webserver nor
Apache.  Python's generic webservers are good enough for this, and you
don't even have to know Python to run them.

2) which example in Core Python confuses you?  i'll assume it's
Example 19.7.  this example is really only necessary if you want to
start writing a full-fledged server (similar to the ones already
mentioned).  if you want to just serve web pages (and even process
CGI), here's a webserver for you that you should understand:

from CGIHTTPServer import test;test()

put this code into a script... say webserver.py and put it into the
same directory or folder as your .HTML files.  then run "python
webserver.py".  you should then be able to access your web pages by
surfing to http://localhost:8000/myWebPage.html (or whatever it's
called).

i think that i'll add an example like this to the book too, in case
there are others that want to just serve pages and perhaps practice
their CGI skills.

hope this helps!
-- wesley
    http://corepython.com