[Tutor] scaling values

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 14 09:41:31 CET 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, kevin parks wrote:

> is there a scaling function in python (or numeric or scipy) that can
> scale a list of values to a high precision?
>
> x = [13, 71, 120, 88, 82, 100, 10, 65, 101, 45, 26]
>
> foo = scale(x, 0, 1.0)

Hi Kevin,

I'm still confused by the problem.  Let's try small examples.

Let's say we had this:

##########################
x = [13]
scaledX = scale(x, 0, 1.0)
##########################

What would 'scaledX' have?  I'm asking because I have no clue from the
problem description!  *grin*

(There's some hidden knowledge that you have about the problem, so I'm
trying to make sure it's out in the open.)

We can ask the same question with a slightly larger (but still small)
example:

    x = [13, 71]

What should we expect from things like:

     scale(x, 0.0, 1.0)
     scale(x, 0.0, 2.0)
     scale(x, 1.0, 2.0)

The results of small examples will help clarify what we'd need to do to
make scale() work.

Good luck to you!