[Tutor] Getting started - IDLE won't run

Shaun Ross rovingmedic at msn.com
Thu Mar 23 09:40:08 CET 2006

Hi Group,

I'm just getting started with Python. I've downloaded and installed the latest version (2.4.2 for Windows). I'm running Windows XP Prow SP2 on my Toshiba Satellite P4 Centrino 2GHz with 2GB RAM. I'm using Trend-Micro PC-Cillin 2006 anti-virus & firewall.

The problem is that Python GUI (IDLE) doesn't run properly. It starts running when I click on the link / icon and then just seems to vanish (the hourglass displays, you can hear the hard drive read/write and then nothing).

Python Command Prompt runs as expected.

I've tried the recommendations on the Python for windows download page without success.

Please advise what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks,
Shaun