[Tutor] urlopen: where are the results?

Kermit Rose kermit at polaris.net
Fri Mar 24 17:27:26 CET 2006

From: Alan Gauld
Date: 03/23/06 11:34:33
To: Kermit Rose; Danny Yoo
Cc: tutor at python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] urlopen: where are the results?

Did you look at the url2lib documentation?

****

I thought I had,  but I did not see the examples.

I did not know enough to make sense of the documentation.

So I thought that I would just try running the urlopen and see what happened

*****

>>> import urllib2
>>> f = urllib2.urlopen('http://www.python.org/')
>>> print f.read(100)
<?xml-stylesheet href="./css/ht2html
========================

Which shows how to open and read a web page.

******

Thanks.   I've experimented with the code you've shown me.   I feel
comfortable with it now.

******

And if you went to the index and click 'f' you will find a link
to 'file object' which gives you the list of methods you can call
on file objects. (Admittedly not all of them work on file-like
objects, but most will)

**********

How do I get to the index??

*****

I admit learning how to use the Python document set is not intuitive
but it's worth persevering and the Module Index is invaluable.

*****

Eventually I will become expert.    Thanks for your help.

Kermit   <   kermit at polaris.net  >

*****

  Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor