[Tutor] TypeError: dict objects are unhashable

Hugo González Monteverde hugonz-lists at h-lab.net
Fri Mar 24 17:37:13 CET 2006

Ben Vinger wrote:

> But I get:
> TypeError: dict objects are unhashable
> Unfortunately, I just can't see what I'm doing wrong

             InnerDict = {}
             InnerDict[U] = P
             accounts[InnerDict] = U

Your logic is not right somewhere around this. I do not have a lot of
context, nor the full error message, but what it says is that you
*cannot* use a dictionary as a key for a dictionary.

In this line:

accounts[InnerDict] = U

this is what you're doing.

You should be using a dictionary with the tuple, something like this:

             InnerDict = {}
             InnerDict[U] = P
             accounts[(U, P])] = U

Again, I do not wuite get why you want to do it like that. If you could
explain a bit more to us....

Hugo