[Tutor] Program for outputing the letter backward

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Mar 29 05:24:11 CEST 2006

Hoffmann wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am trying to write a code (this is an exercose from
> a book). The goal is to write a program that takes a
> string  and outputs the letters backward, ine per
> line.
> Ok. I did a test first, by writing a code with
> numbers:
>
> a=0; b=10
> while a<=b:
>    print b
>    b -= 1
>
> Here the output is:
> 10
> 9
> 8
> 7
> 6
> 5
> 4
> 3
> 2
> 1
> 0
> That worked fine.
> Now, back to my exercise. I tried to write a code that
> takes the string 'car' as the input:
>
> vehicle='car'
> index = vehicle[-1]       #the last letter
> index_zero = vehicle[0]   #the first letter
>
> while index >= index_zero:
>    letter=vehicle[index]
>    print letter
>    index -= 1

You are confusing the index of a letter - the number which represents
its position in the word - with the letter itself. In your code, index
and index_zero are actually letters, not indices. Try to rewrite the
code so they are numbers.

> The problem is that I get no output here.

My guess is you got a TypeError on the line
   letter=vehicle[index]

decause index is a letter. It's important to give us accurate
descriptions of what happens, and to show error messages and the
tracebacks that come with them. This can be very helpful when you have a
problem.

Kent