[Tutor] removing file from zip archive.

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 10:38:22 CEST 2006

| How can we remove one file inside of a zip archive?
|
| I'm using this method:
|
| 	import zipfile
|
| 	ziparchive = zipfile.ZipFile('test.odt', 'r')
| 	xmldata = ziparchive.read('content.xml')
| 	ziparchive.close

(Warning: not my area of expertise, but...)

Your example *reads* one file from within a zip
archive, and is a perfectly good way of doing it
(indeed pretty much the only way of doing it).
Do I take it you want to end up with the same
archive but without that file?

If so, I don't believe it's possible as such.
What you'd have to do -- and this is almost
certainly what any front-end tool will do for
you behind-the-scenes -- is to copy the contents
of the archive to a temporary file omitting the
file(s) in question, and then to rename the
temporary file over the original.

TJG