[Tutor] sockets

János Juhász janos.juhasz at VELUX.com
Fri May 5 08:23:00 CEST 2006

Hi Matt,

the traceroute can be done from the client side or eigther from the server
side.
The two ones should give the same result with reverse order.
In this case you can do the tracerouting from the server side when the
client ask it.
I am just thinking about a simple finger deamon, that can do the job for
you.
You can ask the deamon, with a simple finger request.
Finger.exe is part of th MS system so

c:\>finger %username%@myserver.com

seems to be enough in the login process.

This is the simplest fingerdeamon:

import SocketServer, os, string

class FingerHandler(SocketServer.StreamRequestHandler):
        def handle(self):
                username = self.rfile.readline(512)
                username = string.strip(username)
                # Just do your job here
                # Do the traceroute, and save the result

if __name__ == '__main__':
        server = SocketServer.TCPServer( ('', 79), FingerHandler)
        server.serve_forever()

Matt wrote ---