[Tutor] selecting and ordering file names on a remote machine

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Fri May 12 02:50:22 CEST 2006

Greetings:

I'm adding a new page to our test system's browser based UI.  This page implements the process of sending one more barcode 'images' to the system for decoding by the unit under test.  Each 'image' is in a file in a known directory on the test system.  The file(s) to be presented, and the order of their presentation, are selected by the user via the web page.  There are other fields on the page, including a button to start the presentation, but I know how to implement those features.  It's the selecting and ordering of the files I find challenging.

Essentially, page must do the following:

   1. present the files in the directory to the user as some sort
      of list from which multiple names can be selected,
   2. present the selected file names in the order in which they
      were selected,
   3. allow the user to add additional names, remove existing names
      and change their order at will.

I've seen dialog boxes in GUI based programs that do this sort of things. Is there a widget or recipe extant that does this on a web page?  I've looked in the "Python Cookbook" and the recipe pages on aspn.activestate.com.  I didn't see anything promising.  Any ideas?

My site is currently hand-built: no web application framework in use.  But, if there is a lightweight framework out there that has this functionality I'd be happy to use it, if it doesn't take months to install, configure and become proficient in.

As always, thanks for your help.

Regards,

Barry
barry.carroll at psc.com