[Tutor] selecting and ordering file names on a remote machine

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri May 12 06:17:14 CEST 2006

Carroll, Barry wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Essentially, page must do the following:
>
>    1. present the files in the directory to the user as some sort
>       of list from which multiple names can be selected,
>    2. present the selected file names in the order in which they
>       were selected,
>    3. allow the user to add additional names, remove existing names
>       and change their order at will.
>

> I've seen dialog boxes in GUI based programs that do this sort of
> things. Is there a widget or recipe extant that does this on a web
> page?  I've looked in the "Python Cookbook" and the recipe pages on
> aspn.activestate.com.  I didn't see anything promising.  Any ideas?

Sounds like a good time to learn some AJAX. Something like this?
http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/SortableListsDemo

To do this on a web page you need to use JavaScript, not Python. It's
not too hard to write the classic list-on-the-left, move left button,
move right button, list-on-the-right. But these days you can do much
fancier stuff such as the link above.

Kent