[Tutor] questions about having python GUI apps running in the background

Pine Marten pine508 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 3 22:37:13 CET 2006

First, I have to thank Alan Gauld for his previous helpful posts--I didn't
get to thank him last until the topic had changed much so I felt I missed
that window.  Also, big congratz on 1 millionth visitor to his great site (I
like to think it may have been me that day or at least close).  And thanks
to others who continue to be so helpful.

This is a pretty general topic, but it's Friday afternoon so here goes...  I
want to create a Python GUI app that is meant to open at start up (either on
Windows, Mac, or Linux) and stay running all the time--what I may be
incorrectly calling "running in the background".  This would be for the
reasons of wanting the user to be able to interact with it quickly without
having to open the program every time--it partly will have a "stickies" type
use--and also to send timed pop up dialogues or alarms to the user at
various pre-set times (which may be randomly assigned, user assigned, or
both).

My concerns are:
1) The app may eat up too much memory if it is not done right.  What is
reasonable and how can I know how much RAM it's chewing up?
2) What is a good way to time the popups/alarms?  The time module?  wxTimer?
  Other?
3) How can it have it's own icon in the tray or the dock?

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks