[Tutor] Encoding and XML troubles

Dustin J. Mitchell dustin at v.igoro.us
Sun Nov 5 16:55:59 CET 2006

For what it's worth, the vast majority of the XML out there (especially if
you're parsing RSS feeds, etc.) is written by monkeys and is totally
ill-formed.  It seems the days of 'it looked OK in my browser' are still here.

To find out if it's your app or the XML, you could try running the XML through
a validating parser.  There are also various tools out there which might be
able to parse the XML anyway -- xmllint, I believe, can do this.

Dustin (not by *any* stretch an expert on XML *or* Unicode)