[Tutor] (OT) Flame wars (was: Amazing power of Regular Expressions...)

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Mon Nov 6 20:48:42 CET 2006

Greetings, all:

<<snip>>

> I'm serious, if you think ^[0-9A-Za-z_.-]*$ is unclear and complex, go
> away
> and relearn regales.
>
> Michael.

With the final sentence above, this thread has ceased to be an
intellectual discussion and become a religious argument.  Until then, I
was enjoying an informative discussion by knowledgeable people on a
topic of considerable interest.  Now I'm upset by the implications of
the statement and embarrassed on behalf of the writer.

When a person his so convinced of his/her rightness that they feel
justified in insulting those in opposition, that person has substituted
flaming for advocacy.  They have also, in my opinion, seriously weakened
their position on the subject.  Why would someone resort to such an
attack if they were, in fact, correct?

I am disappointed to see such behavior on this list, and I hope it's
occurrence will continue to be vanishingly small.

Regards,

Barry
barry.carroll at psc.com
541-302-1107