[Tutor] numpy and python

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 7 00:48:33 CET 2006

[Danny]
>> If you're using NumPy, then the correct package name for it is 'numpy',
>> not 'Numeric'.
>>
>>      from numpy import *

[Linda]
> I think the code is suing Numeric (is it called numpy now? if so, how
> to make the change?)

So it's not your code?  If it's not your own code then, nail down what the
required external modules are, since that's important to know.  Look for
the word "Numeric" in their sources: if that's what they use, then they
are using the older Numeric module, and not the numpy module that you've
installed.

In your case, assuming the old code is Numeric, I'd recommend just
installing the old Numeric module as well.  We want to avoid any weird
backward-compatibility issues that might come up with numpy.

(You can try to migrating that code to numpy later, once you're on a
stable Numeric platform.  See the top of http://numpy.scipy.org/ which
mentions a program called numpy.oldnumeric.alter_code1 that should address
this.)

You can find Numeric here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&package_id=1351