[Tutor] Windows Registry

Ryan Wilson mr.ryanwilson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:40:13 CET 2006

>I am currently working on a project that in a small part of it I need to
find keys in the >windows registry. I have found _winreg but was wondering
if anyone knows of any modules >that people have written as a wrapper for
it. I have googled like crazy but am not finding >anything. What I trying to
do is search the registry for a list of known keys without knowing >their
specific locations and then find values of the other keys around it. Hope
that makes >sence.

I also am working on a scripts that serches the registry for key terms.  I
have found that this works a a substitute.

import codecs

os.popen("reg export hklm regFile.txt")
regfile = codecs.open(regFile.txt, encoding='utf_16')

#Then you can do text searches in the file somthing like

for item in regfile:
    if '[' in item
    print item