[Tutor] Help with Elementtree ...how to access the attributes..

doug shawhan doug.shawhan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 19:00:32 CET 2006

I'm having some difficulties with elementtree as well.

I'm attempting to parse a fairly sizeable xml file (it's the ebay "category
tree" report. I've cached a copy at
http://www.crackrabbit.com/misc/CatTree.xml). 900K or so! :-)

For some reason I'm unable to read any elements from the file. I have no
problems with Asraramed's example. (I'm not attempting to extract values
here, just to make sure that there is actual parsing going on!)

#!/usr/bin/env python2.4
from elementtree import ElementTree as et
tree = et.parse("kadri.xml")
companies = tree.findall('company')
for c in companies:
    print c

which gives me:
<Element company at -74207a74>
<Element company at -74207774>
<Element company at -74207614>

Cool beans. There's something in there!

Now when I attempt the same with the data found at the above link:

#!/usr/bin/env python2.4
from elementtree import ElementTree as et
tree = et.parse('CatTree.xml')
categories = tree.findall("CategoryArray")
for cat in categories:
    print cat

I receive nothing.

I've made a smaller version that I could easily get me brain around:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<GetCategoriesResponse xmlns="urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents">
            <CategoryName>eBay Motors</CategoryName>

which also seems to parse cleanly and appears to be similar to what
Asraramed had constructed, but still does not yeild any results no matter
which element I attempt to find with findall().

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!