[Tutor] First realscript + Game of Life

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Nov 11 13:44:56 CET 2006

Luke Paireepinart wrote:
> <snip binary function>
>> But probably (surely) my interpretation is wrong. Hehe
>>
> Ah, well, it's just the terminology you were using was a bit misleading.
> You say
> ' Hey Rooy, so its possible to copy binary numbers from memory?'
> All his function does is converts an integer (that's in memory, yes)
> into a binary number.
> It doesn't copy the binary bit arrangement directly from memory.  It
> uses mathematical operations on an integer in base-10, that it gets from
> the binary in memory, to convert it to base-2.
> You could do the same for 16, or 32, or 64, or base 256 numbers if you
> wanted to.
> The point I'm trying to make is that it's not extracting the actual bits
> from the memory location or anything like that.
> It's just converting bases.  It doesn't matter that the number is stored
> as binary cause to Python it's an integer.
> Think of it like this.
>
> This is what's happening
> Memory       Python     Binary_function
> [ 0000001] ->  1     ->    [0000001]
>

> It's not going from here
> Memory        Python
> [0000100] ->    4
>
> To here...
>
> Memory        Python
> [0000100] -> [0000100]
>
> Do you see what I mean?
> Python still sees the memory location as an integer,
> so it still stores the value (within python) in base-10, not in base-2.
> So even though the memory location has the actual bits, we can't access
> them.

I think you are a bit confused here.

It's important to make a distinction between the way a number is
actually stored in the computer and the string that is created when a
number is printed.

Most computers store integers as binary numbers. So the number 21 for
example will be stored as the bit pattern 00010100. In order to print
this number, Python converts it to a string containing the two
characters '2' and '1' (which are themselves stored as the bit patterns
00110010 and 00110001) and outputs those characters to the console. So
now we have two representations, the binary number stored in the
computer memory and the string representation of the base 10
representation of the number.

There are lots of other ways to represent the same number. What Carlos
wants is the string representation of the binary representation of the
number. This is confusing to talk about because the number is already
stored in binary. The module he showed generates this representation.

Kent