[Tutor] First realscript + Game of Life

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sat Nov 11 19:25:54 CET 2006

Luke Paireepinart wrote:
> I was trying to make it clear that Python wasn't directly accessing the
> binary from memory with this function Carlos had.
> The function just mathematically converted a base-10 number into a
> base-2 number.

No. It converts a binary representation of a number into a string
representation of the binary representation of the number. There is no
base-10 number involved.

> Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that Carlos knew that python wasn't
> directly copying the binary representation from memory into a list,
> Python was getting the base-10 integer representation out of the binary,

No, there is no base-10 representation anywhere in Carlos' program, at
least not on any computer he is likely to be using to run the program.

> and then the function converted this back again into base2 using
> binary shifts.  I.E. the sentence 'copy binary numbers from memory' made
> me think Carlos thought the binary was directly copied into a list.
> I also clarified that it's not a 'module' it's a function.
>
> Am I still confused, Kent?

Yes. Maybe someone else can explain better than me?

Kent