[Tutor] FW: Problem with ftplib

Valone, Toren W. TValone at DMV.CA.gov
Tue Nov 21 19:23:14 CET 2006

Luke, you were right on, our pc's at work have Mcafee and it is blocking the application, just wondering why it doesn't block C# programs.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luke Paireepinart [mailto:rabidpoobear at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 8:54 AM
To: Valone, Toren W.
Cc: tutor, python list
Subject: Re: [Tutor] FW: Problem with ftplib

Valone, Toren W. wrote:

> *I am attempting to design a basic program to FTP files to and from a
> server here is the message I am getting*
>
> * *
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "C:/Python24/ftpdmv.py", line 2, in -toplevel-
>
>     x = FTP(host='mvs.teale.ca.gov',user='mvtwv',passwd='xxxxx')
>
>   File "C:\Python24\lib\ftplib.py", line 107, in __init__
>
>     self.connect(host)
>
>   File "C:\Python24\lib\ftplib.py", line 129, in connect
>
>     raise socket.error, msg
>
> error: (10053, 'Software caused connection abort')

This sounds like the error you get when your firewall is blocking
outgoing port 21.
Do you have McAffee VirusScan?  Even though it's not a firewall,
it sometimes messes with port 21 because lots of viruses propagate
through that port.
Generally 'software caused connection abort' means you have something
running on your computer
that's blocking outgoing connections on that port, so it never even got
close to talking to the host.
HTH,
-Luke