[Tutor] help with Tkinter, please

Dick Moores rdm at rcblue.com
Mon Nov 27 03:53:58 CET 2006

At 03:09 PM 11/26/2006, Alan Gauld wrote:

>"Dick Moores" <rdm at rcblue.com> wrote
>
> > Some time has passed and I've made some progress. My question now is
> > about the placement of buttons.
> > one, but I can't get the layout I want, which is the Label on top of
> > the Entry, then a row of the first 3 buttons (which respectively
> > trigger 3 different computations on the integer the user enters).
> > Then below that, the Exit button, with the Text widget at the
> > bottom.
>
>Sounds like 4 frames to me:
>1 Frame for the outer 'skin', packed with fill for both X and Y.
>
>1 frame for the label/entry combo, using pack to position the widgets
>inside the frame, then pack the frame inside the outer frame
>
>1 frame for the row of buttons and I'd use grid to position the
>buttons insdide the frame and then pack the frame into the
>outer frame (I tend to use grid where I'm positioning things
>horizontally and pack when i'm doing it vertiacally. So I
>divide my GUI into horizontal layers and then use grid
>inside teach layer for horizontally laid out widgets)
>
>1 frame for the bottom exit button and pack it into the
>outer.
>
> > How to do this? Is it impossible with the pack() method?
>
>Horizontal layouts are possible using pack, take a look at
>the GUI topic and the GUI section of the Case Study topic
>in my tutor for examples of using pure pack. But IMHO grid
>is easier for horizontal sets.
>
>Mixing layout styles in a GUI is fine provided you keep each
>layout in a frame to itself.

Thanks very much, Alan and Kent. For some reason I didn't see your
replies before posting my wail of frustration with grid(). Please ignore it.

I had tried using extra frames, but hadn't thought to use frames
inside of frames. And then a grid inside of one of the inner frames.
I'll give that a try right now. And check out the Case Study.

Dick