[Tutor] help with Tkinter, please

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 28 20:02:24 CET 2006

"wesley chun" <wescpy at gmail.com> wrote

>> why do you recommend the use of daemons here?
>> Wouldn't that just leave a load of silently running daemon
>> threads eating up resources
>
> are you missing something?  :-) i think there is a distinction
> bewteen
> a daemon/server process and daemon threads.  i don't think that
> daemon
> threads are spawned to a different process

Aha! That's what I was missing.
I assumed that daemon threads ran under the OS main thread
rather than the application main thread.

What exactly is the advantage of a daemon thread over a normal
one in that case - other than that the application will end while
daemons are still running? In fact that might be the advantage.
But in that case daemons would only be useful for endless
loop type threads?

So I still don't see why the OP should should them?

> are very similar to Java threads, but i'll let the thread experts
> chime in here.

Java threads, like so much of Java are things I try to avoid! :-)

Thanks for the pointers.

Alan G.