[Tutor] OT What's next

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 29 06:23:30 CET 2006

"Amadeo Bellotti" <amadeo.bellotti at gmail.com> wrote

> I've recently wanted to learn more about my hardware and i figured
> what
> better way then programming at the base level. I no it sounds stupid
> but i
> would like to learn to manage my own memory. so i was wondering if
> anyone
> has dipped there toe in either C or Assembly. If you have please
> tell me
> which one you prefer and were a good site is

Never mind my toes getting wet, I was thrown in bodily! :-)

C is the way to go, although you may need to dip into assembler,
but that can be done most easily by using the 'inline' or 'asm'
features
of most PC C compilers.

Pure assembler on a PC involves a huge amount of work for even
the most trivial task.

But for the Python programmer I'd consider Borland Delphi, based
on Pascal. Pascal is much more readable and Pythonic than C
and allows the same level of access to the underlying hardware
(and assembler when needed). OTOH Python is written in C so
learning C can help with understanding Python too!

HTH,

Alan G.