[Tutor] OT What's next

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 30 21:25:58 CET 2006

"Amadeo Bellotti" <amadeo.bellotti at gmail.com> wrote

> step two sites to learn anyone know where i can look
> up c programming for linux?

Ah! Now, if you'd said you were talking about a
Linux PC then there would be no question. C is
the only way to go.

The Linux documentation project has loads of stuff about
programming for Linux, but you need to learn C first.

My personal choices for books are:
1) The original C Language book by Kernighan & Ritchie
One of the finest programming tutorials ever written, great
for core C but useless for the library functions.
2) C The Complete Reference by Schildt. A very good tutorial
that also makes a good (albeit DOS oriented)  reference manual.

Online I haven't seen anything outstanding for C but
then I haven't really looked at beginners tutorials because I
could already program C before the web was invented!

One thing - Don;t get sidetracked into C++. Its a whole
different ballgame, much more complex and unnecessary
if you want to go low level.

HTH,

Alan G.