[Tutor] What is a Python "project"?

Brian van den Broek broek at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Oct 4 00:00:35 CEST 2006

Dick Moores said unto the world upon 03/10/06 01:41 PM:
> At 10:01 AM 10/3/2006, Mike Hansen wrote:

<snip Dick asking about the point of projects in Wing IDE and Mike
replying>

>> I've been doing some web programming, so my "projects" consist of
>> cheetah template files, CSS, config files, a handful of python
>> modules...
>
> Why do you make python modules part of a project? They can be used
> without copying them around, can't they? Or is it that by a project
> is meant in part a list of pointers to all the files you mean for
> that program to use, and you don't actually have to copy or move them
> so they are all in the same folder/directory?
>
> Thanks, Mike.
>
> Dick

Hi Dick,

I've never used Wing, but unless its `project' concept is radically
different than many other editors, it isn't about organizing the files
on disk. Rather, it is about organizing a group of files into a
collection the editor can open in one swell foop. The idea is to
liberate you from having to recall just where the files live and allow
you to merely open a group of related files and get on with what
you're up to. (It is sort of like saving a group of tabs in firefox.)

Best,

Brian vdB