[Tutor] [Fwd: Re: from string to variable name]

Python python at venix.com
Thu Oct 5 17:22:18 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 09:17 -0500, Luke Paireepinart wrote:
(actually from Frank)
> > I have a parameterized string template, I publish it using
> >
> >   print mytemplate % locals()
Original post asked to create variable in local namespace from string.
> so I want to assign a value to a variable whos name is available only
> as a string to me.
> that variable does not exist yet in the local namespace.
>
> from: t = "myvar"
> to: myvar = 3

You can do something like:
	templatevars = dict(locals())	# copy of locals
	templatevars[t] = 3
	print mytemplate % templatevars

It is OK for templatevars to have extra variables.  You will get a
KeyError if templatevars is missing a value.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp