[Tutor] embedding lists in configuration files

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 12 23:01:06 CEST 2006

> Python program instead of hard-coded values.  The configuration data
> currently is in the form of a couple of lists and some triple-quoted
> strings.
> I was looking at the ConfigParser module, but I cannot see how to
> use
> this format to represent lists or triple-quoted strings.  Are there
> any
> other suggestions?  Thanks.

There are several possibilities:-
1)  the simplest is simply a lsingle line
with the values separated by some character - commas, colons,
hyphens, whatever doesn't appear in the data.

Then read the line as a string, split(char) it into its parts and
the parts to the appropriate types. Using commas may allow you
to leverage the CSV module.

2) Use a richer format, like XML which provides for very
complex structures and allows you to use a standard parser
like ElementTree to extract the data.

3) Write all values onm their own lines and add a marker to
separate lists. Then use a while loop to read in the lines until
you reach the marker.

Thee are other options too, but those should be enough
to get you going.

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site