[Tutor] Exception and sys.exit() in a cgi script

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 15 19:27:51 CEST 2006

Hi Paulino,

> This is a peace of a CGI script i have.
>
> 1 import cgi
> 2 form=cgi.FieldStorage()
> 3 try :
> 4     ano=form["ano"].value
> 5     conta=form["conta"].value
> 6 except KeyError :
> 8     sys.exit(0)
>

> When the excption occurs, no message is shown on the browser.

Can you tell us a bit more about the set up?
What OS? What web server?

Can you get any other python CGI scripts running correctly?

> If I run the script with IDLE, the message is printed and then the
> script exits.

The IDE environment is very different to a web server environment.

You should only treat IDLE as a first approximation when
developing Web scripts. You can use the OS prompt for a slightly
better approximation provided you set some environment variables
first, but ultimately you need to test on the web server you will
be using.

Alan G.