[Tutor] Help me abt this error

Asrarahmed Kadri ajkadri at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 18 00:37:59 CEST 2006

I changed to append mode and it is working.
But the thing is that I have another problem.
I am trying to insert usernames that are unique. Please look at the code and
help me.

import sys

fd = open('usr.txt','a')

def chk(str):
    global fd
    fd.seek(0,0)
    print fd
    done = 0
    list1 = []
    answer = True

    while not done:

        aline = fd.readline()

        if aline == "":
            done = 1
        else:
            list1.append(aline)
    print list1
    for i in list1:
        print i
        j = i.split(':')
        if str == j[0]:
            answer = False
            break
    return answer

def make_entry(uname,passwd):
    global fd
    fd.seek(0,2)
    str1 = uname+':'+passwd
    fd.write(str1+'\n')
    enter_choice()

def die():
    sys.exit(0)

def new_user():
    uname = raw_input("Enter your desired username")
    ans = chk(uname)
    print ans
    if ans:
        passwd = raw_input("Enter your password")
        make_entry(uname,passwd)
    else:
        showerror('Login Error...','Id already taken')
        new_user()

def display_menu():
    print "-" * 30
    print "Select 1 for new user:"
    print "Select 2 to exit"
    print "-" * 30

def enter_choice():
    display_menu()
    print
    choice = raw_input("Enter your choice")
    if choice == '1':
        new_user()

    else:
        die()

enter_choice()

The problem is in the chk() function.. It is not reading the file ....The
file is a txt file with colon (:) as the delimiter between username and
password.
I cannot understand why its not reading???
Please help...

--
To HIM you shall return.