[Tutor] Location of found item in list.

Chris Hengge pyro9219 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 04:14:05 CEST 2006

I've said in several of my emails that I understand that output is wrong...
I just put it there until I had a fix... and so I could bold something to
try and show people what I'm trying to do..

using this exact code:
    count = 0
    for item in lineList:
        if item in directoryList:
            print match.ljust(20) + item.ljust(20) + "this should be the
object from directoryList"
        else:
            print fail.ljust(20) + item.ljust(20) +  "this should be the
object from directoryList"
            #os.rename(pathName + item, pathName + item)
        count = count + 1

my program works without ANY flaw.. it finds the name from the first list,
compares it to the second list, and then renames the file in the directory
if it doesn't match the one from the first list.

Here is output from the code above..
Tested:             File Name:          Directory Name:
Fail!               SL_39.sdr           this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              PSL_MBD5.FRU        this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              XSL_MBD3.FRU        this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              RA_MBD4.FRU         this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              XVN_MBD3.FRU        this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              P_R24BP.FRU         this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              P_R26BP.FRU         this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              P_R24BPE.FRU        this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              P_R26BPE.FRU        this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              S_R24BP.FRU         this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              S_R26BP.FRU         this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              S_R24BPE.FRU        this should be the object from
directoryList
Match!              S_R26BPE.FRU        this should be the object from
directoryList

I bolded the first line, just incase its lost in email land... the reason
this line flagged fail! is because the filename for the real file located in
the directory, is SL_39.SDR (I named it this so I could give an example)....
now.. if I uncomment the os.rename() from my code (disabled while trying to
figure out this problem), it will rename the file to the one located in the
second column.. which is perfect.. what I want.. no questions asked.. I
could remove the 'print' from this application, and it would do exactly what
I want.. but I like the visual record for my own sanity..

What should be located in the 3rd column is the literal filename (which is
located in directoryList). but, since I dont have a location to write
directoryList[here] I can't print it out.

I've tried using directoryList[directoryList.index(item)], but that seems to
be a case-sensitive check and fails to work.