[Tutor] am I a dope? - nasty_exception_str =.....

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 30 21:07:12 CET 2006

"Michael Daly" <md at holisticgp.com.au> wrote
> when I tried to start a program called 'zope' that depends on
> python,

Hmm, Zope is rather more than a mere program.
It is a very powerful environment containing lots of fairly
sophisticated bits n pieces. Did you read through all the
Zope installation and configuration stuff (READMEs and the like)
before trying to start it? There should be a tutorial/beginners
guide for Zope somewhere on-line.

> zope seemed to install OK in the same dir (/home/digium400p/zope)
>  which I directed (via prefix option) the python 2.5 install. I did
> this because
> python 2.3.4 is also installed in the default location on the
> operating
> system (which is centos 4.4), and I wanted to keep it that way. Zope
> requires at least python 2.4.3

I'm not sure what the current Zope default is, but it used to want
a directory of its own...

> I didn't use the 'make altinstall' option for the python 2.5
> install-should
> I redo this?

Probably not.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/home/digium400p/zope/lib/python/Zope2/Startup/zopectl.py",
> line 322, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "/home/digium400p/zope/lib/python/Zope2/Startup/zopectl.py",
> line 280, in main
>    options.realize(args)
>  File "/home/digium400p/zope/lib/python/Zope2/Startup/zopectl.py",
> line 91, in realize
>    ZDOptions.realize(self, *args, **kw)

Looks like some config options may need to be set to tell it
about your local environment.

>    nasty_exception_str = Exception.__str__.im_func
> AttributeError: 'wrapper_descriptor' object has no
> attribute 'im_func'

But I have no idea exactl what. I only used Zope once several
years ago. I did the tutorial, it worked. I deleted Zope having
decided it was way overkill for what I was doing!

Alan G.