[Tutor] Does it helps to learn "Regular Expressions" or ...

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 30 21:13:00 CET 2006

"Asrarahmed Kadri" <ajkadri at googlemail.com> wrote

> Is it useful to know re module and its functions..??

Yes.

> Or the string module has enough utilities to accomplish string
> manipulation..!!!

The string module is deprecated but (most of) its features are now
found as methods of string objects. However these are not always
enough fopr all tasks and thats where regex comes in.

In my own programming I probably only use a Python regex once
or twice a month, but in Awk I use them at least every week... So
if you use python for the kind of things I do in awk then you will
use them much more often...

My tutor has a basic intro to regex, and there is a more
detailed HowTo online linked from the python site.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site