[Tutor] GUI Programing

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Fri Sep 1 21:13:54 CEST 2006

> I'm going to try some GUI programming does anyone know where the
> start like
> using tk or wx or what ever i want it to it will run on Windows UNIX
> and Mac
> systems can you tell me whats best to use and give me a link to a
> good
> tutorial?

This is like asking which programming language is best,
or which editor/IDE to use. Everyone has their own favourite.

My personal view is:

If you have used any GUI before then use wxPython - it looks
better and has more widgets.

But if you have never used a GUI toolkit before use Tkinter,
its easier to learn (and use IMHO) and has much more documentation.
Once you know Tkinter moving to wxPythobn is relatively
straightforward because the underlying prionciples of all GUIs
are the same.

And of course Tkinter is based on Tk whicgh is also available
for Perl and Tcl/Tk and Scheme. So its worth learning for its
portability too.

You can start with my GUI intro topic which teahches Tkinter
but finishes with a wxPython example so you can quickly switch
if you want to.

BTW I strongly recommend startiung out with the raw toolkit
and manual programming to understand how itall hangs
together. Later you can pick up a GUI Builder like
Glade/Blackadder/SpecTix etc. But its best to understand
what these tools are doing first IMHO...

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site