[Tutor] Java: (and python ?) nearer measles than coffee

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Sep 11 23:20:47 CEST 2006

Klaus Ramelow wrote:
> Sometimes I have also some  - or more - problems trying digesting python
> and feeling totally blocked.
>
> My programming experience (beginning at the card-reader era)
> main-frame, mini and micro :
> Bit / Byte / Word system-programming via switch-console followed by
> Assembler and commercial software using Basic, Cobol, Pascal and SQL.
>
> Mnemonic programming-language - in my understanding - can only be
> consisting of expressions near the human language.
> The best example for writing non-system-programms are
> Basic, Cobol (thanks to Alan) and SQL(especially Informix-SQL as full
> language - not only for DB).
> Why should I waste time in learning a "language" like Java (or more
> positive: python) ?
> Nevertheless this Tutor Digest is most helpful, the number of questions
> / problems show:
> some more people are looking for a mnemonic-language which should
> optimized cross-compile to something with multiplatform-capability
> like Java.
> Please let me know, if I am entirely wrong.

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Many people find Python to be
useful and enjoyable for a wide variety of personal and professional
programming. But if you are happy with Basic and Cobol and they meet
your needs then there is no need to "waste your time" learning anything
else, I suppose. I am not really interested in trying to convince you to
learn python; if you decide you want to learn this list is a great place
to get help.

Kent