[Tutor] pymssql or ODBC

János Juhász janos.juhasz at VELUX.com
Fri Sep 15 13:52:23 CEST 2006

I am using the next two solution for connecting to our mssql server

when the odbc connection is set for all the PCs, I use this:

import dbi, odbc
cn = odbc.odbc('DSN=scalaDB;UID=query;PWD=query;DATABASE=DB')

When there is no connection set and distributed, I usually choose this

import win32com.client
cn =win32com.client.Dispatch('ADODB.connection')
cn.Provider='sqloledb'
cn.Open('Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=False;Initial Catalog=production;Data Source=MyServername')

To create the correct connection string I follow this simple method:
-right click on the desktop and create a new text document
-save it as connection.udl
-double click on it, and it will be opened by windows to set up all the
possible parameters
-test the connection
-open it with notepad and copy the string from it

Yours sincerely,
János Juhász