[Tutor] folder and module

Brian van den Broek broek at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Sep 17 21:39:54 CEST 2006

linda.s said unto the world upon 17/09/06 02:03 PM:

<snip>

> I checked sys.path and environemntal variables:
> since the desktop directory is not listed in either of them,
> why there is no error report when I import a module which is in the
> desktop into test.py which is under a different folder?
> Linda

Hi Linda,

what do you get when you try:

 >>> import os
 >>> os.getcwd()

The current working directory is represented in sys.path as the first
element:

 >>> import sys
 >>> sys.path[0]
''

Not the most intuitive, perhaps.

I suspect you are launching your Python environment from a desktop
icon. That would explain why import can `see' your Desktop, even
though it doesn't at first glance seem to be in sys.path.

Best,

Brian vdB