[Tutor] How to convert a decimal integer into binary

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 02:22:00 CEST 2006

Asrarahmed Kadri wrote:
> Can anyone help me with teh problem of "converting a decimal number
> into its binary equivalent"??

Ah, sorry, I didn't read the subject line, just the e-mail.
You said a decimal integer into binary.  I thought you meant any random
decimal value.
My bad :)
You should be able to find a tutorial on this on-line somewhere.

you know that
decimal: 1  = binary: 0001
decimal: 2 = binary: 0010
decimal: 4 = binary: 0100
decimal: 8 = binary: 1000

Do you see the pattern here?
It's powers of 2.

I don't have time to write an example program, but see what you can do.
Basically, if I remember correctly, you have to find the smallest power
of 2 that is greater than your number,
then repeatedly divide then mod the integer for each binary digit.
> Thanks in anticipation.
sure.

> Regards,
> Asrar Kadri