[Tutor] Fatal error after RE-installing Python 2.3.4

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 04:03:15 CEST 2006

I've just started a job which has a massive python2.3.4-centric tools
installation and configuration.

I know what you're going to say, but I can't upgrade and be the only one
with a newer version. There are close to 30 engineers using this same tools
configuration, and it has been working fine for a long time.
For now, we all have to live with the limitations and or bugs in 2.3.4.

I'm running Windows XP, SP2, on a AMD 1.79Ghz MP 2200+.

After editing/testing one of the python test scripts, I was about to check a
small script change into cvs, when my mentor suggested running pychecker.
When I did this, I saw a several pages full of warnings.
For me not knowing the code base well enough to know what to expect, He
thought this was odd, took the file, ran pychecker on his system, and only
sees 4-5 warnings.

We have the same version of Python, that being 2.3.4, the same version of
pychecker which is 0.8.14.
I had deleted and re-installed pychecker, and still saw the same warnings.
I compared this to another machine, and again, I am the odd man out.

I've deleted all the Python packages, pythonwin, and The core
2.3.4distribution, and re-installed everything from scratch.

Now, When I launch Python from a cmd console, the following is reported

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe- python
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
Chose close to terminate the application.

Oddly enough, when I run Python.exe from the Program Files menu, it launches
just fine.

The virus scanner doesn't find any known viruses, and I've also disabled the
virus checker after un-installing-reinstalling Python the last time.
I've also tried downloading another copy of the installer.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? My job
depends on me getting Python2.3.4 back to working order.

thanks