[Tutor] Fatal error after RE-installing Python 2.3.4

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 23 09:38:37 CEST 2006

> I've just started a job which has a massive python2.3.4-centric
> tools
> installation and configuration.
>
> I know what you're going to say, but I can't upgrade and be the only
> one
> with a newer version. There are close to 30 engineers using this
> same tools
> configuration, and it has been working fine for a long time.
> For now, we all have to live with the limitations and or bugs in
> 2.3.4.

That's not too bad. At work I have to use v2.2 and there are no plans
to upgrade. We only moved to 2.2 last year. Our admins are very
cautious about upgrades and only do it when there is real business
need or support becomes problematic.

So 2.3.4 is quite recent really! :-)

> C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe- python
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> Chose close to terminate the application.
>

> Oddly enough, when I run Python.exe from the Program Files menu, it
> launches
> just fine.

Have you installed in the same place as everybody else?
Are your PATH settings the same?

Otherwise I'm stumped and would tend to go for removing
every reference to Python, including all registry entries.
Then doing a fresh install.

Hope it works out,

Alan G.
(Off on vacation, see ya guys....)