[Tutor] Talking between C++ & Python ?

Dave S pythontut at pusspaws.net
Fri Apr 6 09:51:29 CEST 2007

On Friday 06 April 2007 08:29, Alan Gauld wrote:
> "R. Alan Monroe" <amonroe at columbus.rr.com> wrote
>
> >> I have written a Python app, a company who don't use Python want to
> >> integrate
> >> its back end with their C++ coded GUI.
> >>
> >> The data to & from the C++, Python code consists of fairly large
> >> tables of up
> >> to 80,000 items.
> >
> > SQLite?
>
> That's a good idea if the apps are co-located.
> I had, for some reason, assumed they must be remote
> from each other when I suggested SOAP, but if they
> are co-located then a database is a good solution for
> those volumes. It probably requires that each end
> implements a poller to check for updates and a
> table or column to be added to indicate the status.
>
> Alan G.

Yep both apps are on the same machine, the company just wants to put a
corporate GUI on my Python code to claim it as their own because they cant
work out how to convert some of the Python to C++ - I leverage the Python
interpreter parsing to evaluate some fairly complex and user changeable
logical expressions + I have written a class that sits on top of Reportlab to
generate the PDF manuals. They don't want to re-write that either :)

I am now learning C++, its interesting - takes a lot of code to do what in
Python takes a line or two ....

I had never heard of SOAP - there is just so much out there but it does seem
to be for remote apps.

SQLite ? - just Googled it and it looks interesting. Licence seems OK too -
these guys are allergic to the GPL - reportlab is BSD. That's another reason
that they want their own GUI - QT4 on windows ....

Thanks once again

Dave