[Tutor] Command line args

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 7 19:47:30 CEST 2007

"Teresa Stanton" <tms43 at clearwire.net> wrote

> If one argument to a script is provided I am to take the input from
> it.

OK This sounds like a homework so I can't give you a direct
answer but only some things to consider.

> I figure that is presented like this:
> filename = sys.argv[1]
> data = open(filename).read()

So far so good but how will you know whether there is
anyting in sys.argv to read?

> But, if none are provided, input should come from standard input.

Standard input is where you normally get input in interactive
How do you normally get a user to giove you information?

You'll find more about receiving input from users in the
"Talking to the User" topic of my tutorial.

Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site