[Tutor] Exceptions while dealing with MySQL

John Clark clajo04 at mac.com
Sun Apr 22 18:24:02 CEST 2007

Alan Gauld wrote:

>"Thanos Panousis" <pthanos at gmail.com> wrote
>
>> I am developing a network management system that relies heavily on a
>> MySQL database. The logic of the program is unavoidably coupled with
>> query results I get from various tables.
>
>That's pretty unusual, it normally indicates a non OO design.

Database persistance has always been a frustration of mine in OO design -
does anyone have pointers to patterns that can be used to decouple the
database connection/transaction/cursor/cache management with the logic of
the objects in the domain of the solution?  I know that there is a text book
out there called "Database Access Patterns", can anyone provide a
recommendation or a critique of the book?  Are there other (better)
references I should be consulting in designing the database interaction
layer of my application?

Thanks,
-John Clark