[Tutor] 100 Programs?

Alex Dering kerravon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 18:22:50 CEST 2007

Can anyone recommend a list of progressively harder Python programming
assignments for the self-learner?

My suspicion is that if I arrive at a point where I am proficient in Python,
I still won't trust myself to be the judge of that. So I'm trying to get a
list of specific tasks/problems/projects (with expected time requirements)
that would allow me to say "Well, I did that in 2 hours 20 minutes and the
expected time to complete it was 2 hours 30 minutes, so I'm at least
*that*skilled."

Example:
Beginner Level
Each of these should take someone who knows what he or she is doing one
session of less than an hour to complete. These should try to combine
several simple tasks, but not to the point of hopelessly confusing the
programmer. As an example, when I took calculus, the teacher would delight
in saying, "Now, let's take the derivative of a simple function, say, x
cubed raised to the ln of e raised to the negative x times sin x squared." I
don't need to be shown I don't know everything; I already know that.

Intermediate Level
These should take a proficient intermediate between 1 hour and 3 hours each.

Advanced Level
These should be expected to require at least 3 hours and possibly up to a
week. These should be programs that a single programmer is capable of doing.
And -- yes, and -- these should be portfolio-worthy. Items that, when you
start looking for a job or a freelance assignment, you can point to and
actually get some sort of respect for.

Many thanks for all help.