[Tutor] Which GUI?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 1 06:31:52 CEST 2007

"scott" <slewin at rogers.com> wrote

> 1: I know many people suggest learning more than one programming
> language when writing programs and use each programming language
> like a
> tool on a toolbox.  Should one also learn more than one GUI and
> select
> the correct one for each individual program?

I would say not. There is little advantage of one over the other.
Unfortunately you will often be required to learn new GUIs because the
choice for any given project may already have been made, either
because the project is already underway, or its the 'house style'
or because some key component only works with a given GUI.

> 2: How have you come to select your favourite GUI(s)?

History and experience. The ones that are most 'intuitive' to use
and use least lines of code or have good GUI builders - something
lacking in most open-source GUIs at present...

> 3: Is there a GUI that is better for developing for Linux?
>
> 4: I have read that WxPython is difficult to install on Linux from a
> couple different sources.

I've never found any problem, but I've only done it twice...

>  Is this true?  Is WxPython a poor choice for a Linux developer?

I don't think so, Linux seems to be the main development OS
from what little I've seen.

Alan G.