[Tutor] Textual Captchas: Would like to show that bots can crack a simple text captcha

Kyle Brooks anotequaltob at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 03:55:46 CEST 2007

Hi.

My name is Kyle Brooks, and I hereby introduce myself with this post.

I have seen a lot of text captchas. A text captcha is the logical
opposite of a image captcha. That is, among other qualities: image
captchas are inaccessible, while text captchas are, and image captchas
cannot be easily read by bots, while text captchas can be because they
are clearly embedded in forms for all to visibly see.

Therein lies the problem. You see, text captchas can be insecure! But
there are too many people that think text captchas are secure, that
they are a panacea. So, I would like to show that a bot can crack a
simple textual captcha that involves math, like 1 + 1.

I want to generate a captcha, show it, and have the user (in this
case, me) submit the answer. Then I would like to write an automated
bot that goes to the webpage, reads the captcha, evaluates it, puts it
in, and submits it.

I would like some suggestions on how to do both stages.

In advance, thanks for any help that you may give.

- Kyle