[Tutor] Filemaker interactions

Ian Witham witham.ian at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 23:46:00 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can put me on the right track with some broad
concepts here. I've cross-posted this email to the comp.lang.python, I hope
that's acceptable.

What I am hoping to achieve is a simple HTML page to be served over
our company LAN, into which the users (Real Estate Agents) can enter a
property address or reference number.

My next thought was to have a Python CGI script query our filemaker
database of property listings, construct a PDF from the relevant
information, and finally return this PDF to the user.

At no stage do I want the user to have unfettered access to the
database or the ability to alter/delete records.

My question is: what is the most appropriate way for my script to
interact with Filemaker? Can this be done with Filemaker Pro 6?

According to the Filemaker Help, the "Local Data Access Companion"
shares the FileMaker Pro database with ODBC-compliant applications on
the same computer. Is this the right option?

Can my CGI script be an ODBC client? How? Would it need to be
Filemaker specific code or does ODBC have a standardised format?

I'm grateful for any advice and a nudge in the right direction.

Ian.