[Tutor] Which GUI?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 2 20:53:39 CEST 2007

"eShopping" <etrade.griffiths at dsl.pipex.com> wrote

>>Switching gears from linear to event driven programming is a pretty
>>significant paradigm shift.  Will this book help him get his head
>>around
>>that?
>
> Chapter 3 of WPIA gives a nice introduction to event driven
> programming.  But event driven programming is implicit in
> all GUIs (isn't it?)

Not quite, there are non Event Driven GuUIs - in fact the Python
easyGUI is not Event Driven - but most are. Thats why I cover event
driven
programming as a sepsaate precursor to GUII porogramming in my
tutorial.

>> > I own a lot of computer books, and I've found Learning Python (an
>> > O'Reilly Book) and wxPython in Action to be my two most useful
>> > ones.

I agree with most of the comments in this thread - I've been away for
a few days - however I still prefer Tkinter and find it both
conceptually
easier and more concise in coding terms than wxPython. With the
addition of Tix to the standard library there is less to choose
between
them in widget coverage, although wxPython definitely still has an
edge.

As to Tkinter documentation, there is a llarge number of books on Tk
and it is fairly easy to translate from Tk speak to Tkinter. There are
fewer books on wxWidgets. However the new wxPython book covers
most of the ground pretty well.

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site