[Tutor] Newbie College Student

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 5 20:52:28 CEST 2007

"TheSarge" <ssg.hilton at comcast.net> wrote

> information (name and email). I think I am lost on whether or not my
> actual
> py script needs to link to a cgi script or if I can do it all in a
> py

Your python script is a CGI script and it needs to run under a web
server.
There is a simple CGI server in the Python library that you can use
for
testing...

> #!c:\python25\python.exe
> import cgi, cgitb, os
>
> temp = """
> <form action=sample.cgi>
> First Name: <input type=text name=fname><br>
> Last Name: <input type=text name=lname><br>
> Email:  <input type=text name=email><br>
> <hr>
> <input type=submit>
> </form>
>

> """
> path = 'c:\\file'
> # Create instance of FieldStorage
> form = cgi.FieldStorage()
>
> # Get data from field 'name'
> fname = form.getvalue('fname')
>
> # Get data from field 'address'
> lname = form.getvalue('lname')

The comments seem to be wrong, assuming the html
in temp ids the same as is in the html file that calls this?

> # Get data from field 'email'
> email = form.getvalue('email')
>
> if not os.path.isdir(path):
>    os.mkdir(path)
>    e=open(path + '\\' + 'logbook.txt','a')
>    e.write("%s#%s#%s\n" % (fname,lname,email))
>    e.close()
> print 'Done'

Bob has already pointed out the bug here...

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site