[Tutor] Losing theexpressivenessofC'sfor-statement?/RESENDwithexample

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at airtelbroadband.in
Sat Aug 11 11:06:49 CEST 2007

Stephen McInerney wrote:
> Hi Alan,
[..]
> How can we address that reasonably and succinctly without polluting the doc
> with language-migration-specific details, that is a worthy question... I
> believe we can do a better job simply by grouping and highlighting related
> alternative concepts like I listed above.

I think such treatment of the various python constructs should be
reserved for documents like say, "Python for C programmers"(which should
also warn people IMHO about the inefficiency of translating C directly
to Python). The official Python tutorial whose intent is to teach proper
Python shouldn't encourage you to write C programs in Python. I don't
think it should make any references to other languages since it has it's
own idioms.

As far as I know, K&R doesn't make any references to other languages
which might have been popular at the time C was being introduced (eg.
"this statement is equivalent to the COBOL statement foo"). I think that
was a good thing.

--
~noufal